Study Abroad for Environmental Science Majors
NOTE--The list below contains recommended options only. Students are not limited to just these programs! For a comprehensive listing of options, complete university descriptions, and course listings, please visit AU Abroad brochure webpages.
- To get approval for study abroad, it is highly recommended that you schedule an appointment with your faculty advisor in advance. Approval requires a review of your overall course of study.
- Environmental Science majors can count up to 9 credit hours of pre-approved courses, taken while abroad, toward their upper level major course requirements.
- Kenya: Contemporary Issues in Kenya and Africa - (Fall and Spring) Join other AU students in Nairobi, Kenya. Students take core program classes in African Studies and Swahili, in addition to completing an internship in the community. Students can take an additional course a local partner university with Kenyan students.
- Kenya: Environment and Human Health (Spring) The Environment and Human Health program is a unique opportunity for students interested in environmental issues and and/or public health who want to pursue varied opportunities in Kenya's landscape. Students will have orientation and take courses for a month in Nairobi while living in a homestay alongside Contemporary Issues in Kenya and Africa students, before moving to the Turkana Basin Institute to take a course in northern Kenya. Students will then pursue an internship or an independent research project for the remaining portion of the semester in Nairobi or another Kenyan location that suits their academic needs.
- Kenya: Public Health in Nairobi (Fall) Join other AU students in Nairobi, Kenya. Students take core program classes in Epidemiology, Environmental Health, Community Health Projects, and Swahili in addition to completing an internship in the community.
AustraliaPlease pay close attention to which science courses are offered each term as sequencing may be different than at AU in the southern hemisphere.
- James Cook University Offers wide range of Environmental Science courses in unique north Queensland.
- University of Queensland UQ’s program in Environmental Science offers four specializations, including Earth Resources, Ecology, Molecular and Microbial Science, and Natural Resource Science.
- University of New South Wales The School of Biological, Earth and Environmental Sciences (BEES) incorporates environmentally relevant disciplines with social, economics and legal aspects of environmental science.
- Universidad Nacional Autónoma (Institute For Study Abroad) Environmental Science majors with advanced Spanish language skills can study at the Universidad Nacional Autónoma (UNA) in Heredia, Costa Rica. Costa Rica itself is among the most beautiful places on earth, a jewel for eco-tourism and a model of political and economic stability in Latin America. *has language prerequisite
- Danish Institute for Study Abroad (DIS) Students participating in a DIS semester enroll in a thematically focused program with courses taught in English by the best faculty in Denmark. The program offers specialized environmental science and policy courses and field trips.
- King’s College London Study right in the heart of London at one of the most prestigious universities in the UK. King’s environmental science program offer courses in environmental science, economics, advocacy, policy and law.
- University College London
- University of Exeter
- Arava Institute of Environmental Science Students have the opportunity to study the environmental challenges in the Middle East and take courses in diverse areas such as desert and marine ecology, sustainable agriculture, environmental policy, economics, law, environmental ethics, and social analysis.
New ZealandPlease pay close attention to which science courses are offered each term as sequencing may be different than at AU in the southern hemisphere.
- New Zealand: Victoria University of Wellington Students in this direct enrollment program can take classes in the School of Geography, Environment, and Earth Sciences. Study a range of topics from climate change to urban green spaces, from Maori Resource Management to Antarctica, and active travel in cities.
- Wales: Aberystwyth University Study at AU's exciting new partner university in Wales! In Aber, students can take classes with Welsh students in an affordable, relaxed, and student geared town. They have a particularly interesting "Institute of Biological, Environmental, and Rural Sciences (IBERS) which conducts research in response to global challenges such as food security, bioenergy and sustainability, and the impacts of climate change. IBERS' scientists conduct research on genes and molecules, whole organisms and the environment.