Study Abroad for Biology Majors
AU Abroad, in consultation with the Department of Biology, is pleased to offer a selection of study abroad programs suited for Biology Majors. These programs are recommended based on the academic quality of the host institution’s course offerings in biology. Below is a selection of highlighted study abroad programs strong in Biology.
Keep in mind:
- The Department recommends going abroad during the junior year or first semester senior year.
Keep in mind:
- Biology majors can count up to 6 credit hours of preapproved courses taken abroad toward their upper-level major course requirements.
- Courses under consideration must be specific for science majors at the abroad institution and have instructors with a PhD in Biology or a related field.
- If you are in the AU premedical program, you can go abroad! Many programs offer courses that can provide you with topical experience in biological sciences and the health fields.
AustraliaPlease pay close attention to which science courses are offered each term as sequencing may be different than at AU in the southern hemisphere.
- James Cook University - The program is open to a range of majors but is especially well suited for students interested in the environment and marine biology.
- University of Melbourne - Take advantage of the natural beauty of Melbourne and amplify your study of the biological sciences. Students take courses in the Faculty of sciences, including cell and developmental biology and human anatomy.
- University of Queensland - The University of Queensland (UQ) offers the unique opportunity to study in Brisbane, Australia. UQ’s program offers genetic, developmental, physiological, ecological and evolutionary approaches to address fundamental questions in basic and applied Biology.
- University of New South Wales - The UNSW is renowned for the its commitment to creative approaches to education and research. The School of Biotechnology and Biomolecular Sciences, offers courses in biotechnology, genomics, proteomics, cell biology, genetics, medical bacteriology, virology and bioprocess engineering and have established collabora-tive links with industry in Australia and overseas.
- DIS Copenhagen - Study in Scandinavia! Copenhagen, Denmark offers an idea study abroad program. Course schedules consist of the program's required core course(s) (if any), a program-related study tour, and a combination of courses from across the various programs. Courses are offered in Biology, Biomedicine, Climate Change, Biotechnology and more.
- King’s College London - Study right in the heart of London at one of the most prestigious universities in the UK and one of the top institutions for the Biomedical Sciences. KCL is the largest center for education of doctors, dentists and healthcare professionals in Europe.
- University College London - Located in the center of London and one of the UK’s most most prestigious universities, UCL offers excellent course options in the Research Department of Structural and Molecular Biology.
- University of Exeter - Exeter is considered one of the most beautiful campuses in the UK. It is also a leading institution in the Biosciences, including conservation biology, animal biology, genome research, bioinformatics, plant and animal pathology, cell and molecular biology, and chemical biology.
- University College Dublin - Experience Ireland's lyrical landscape and vibrant city life firsthand in the city of Dublin! UCD offers biology students the opportunity to study courses through the College of Life Sciences. Students can take a diverse array of options in medicinal chemistry, genetics, zoology, physiology, biology, biomolecular science, and neuroscience among many others. You can also take a unique research class and become an active member of a research group in areas ranging from Physics and Computer Science to Chemistry, Biology and the Biomedical Sciences.
- University of Limerick - Study in the spectacular countryside of western Ireland and experience traditional Irish culture! The University of Limerick offers strong course offerings in the Biological Sciences, including special strengths in sports science and health sciences.
New ZealandPlease pay close attention to which science courses are offered each term as sequencing may be different than at AU in the southern hemisphere.
- University of Auckland - Their School of Biological Science in the Faculty of Science offers students the opportunity to study courses related to marine science, environmental science, food and wine science, biotechnology, biomedical sciences, bioinformatics, biosecurity and bioscience enterprise.
- University of Edinburgh - Study and live amidst the charm of Scotland! The University of Edinburgh offers biology students course offerings through the School of Biological Sciences as part of the College of Science and Engineering.
- University of Glasgow - One of the oldest universities in the world, the University of Glasgow has a long-standing reputation of academic and research. It is a leading institution in the Biomedical and Life Sciences. It also offeres a special undergraduate Functional Anatomy course aimed at Pre-Med or Pre-Health students intending to apply to a US Medical School/Professional Health program in the USA. The course has been specially designed to give students a real advantage over their peers and will allow them to:
- learn basic medical terminology
- learn core concepts in regional anatomy
- learn clinical correlations and applications of anatomy
- learn basic radiology
- Wales: Aberystwyth University - Study at AU's new and exciting partner university in Wales! In Aber, students can take classes with Welsh students in an affordable, relaxed, and student geared town. They have a particularly interesting "Institute of Biological, Environmental, and Rural Sciences (IBERS) which conducts research in response to global challenges such as food security, bioenergy and sustainability, and the impacts of climate change. IBERS' scientists conduct research on genes and molecules, whole organisms and the environment.