Study Abroad for Sociology Majors
NOTE--The list below contains recommended options only. Students are not limited to just these programs! For a comprehensive listing of options, complete university descriptions, and course listings, please visit AU Abroad brochure webpages.
- Generally, students study abroad between their second semester of sophomore year through the first semester of their senior year. The decision when to study abroad should be made in consultation with the student’s academic advisor and faculty advisor.
- Students may study abroad for one semester or one year.
- Students need to let their academic advisor and faculty advisor know as soon as possible about their desire to study abroad so they can meet to discuss their study abroad goals and how to fit this experience into their specific academic program and graduation requirements.
- Even after courses abroad have been equated to courses at AU, students must review final course selection with their academic advisors.
It is recommended that students complete at least 80% of their general education requirements before studying abroad or that students plan with their academic advisor to complete AU Core requirements on campus before or after studying abroad.
- Generally, students can apply 9 credit hours from study abroad to sociology major requirements; though students have occasionally applied more from programs of distinction.
- Universidad Nacional (IFSA-Butler) *has language prerequisite
- King's College London
- The London School of Economics & Political Science
- SOAS - University of London
- University College London
- University of Exeter
- MICEFA Exchange *has language prerequisite