Study Abroad for Economics MajorsAU Abroad, in consultation with the Department of Economics, offers a selection of programs suited for Economics Majors. These programs are suggestions based on the academic quality of the AU Abroad program’s course offerings in your major.
Key points to be aware of:
- Before deciding to go abroad, students should declare their Economics major or minor so that a faculty advisor can help plan your schedule. Also consult the Econ FAQs: www.american.edu/cas/economics/undergraduate-faq.cfm.
- Economics majors can count up to six credit hours of pre-approved courses taken while abroad towards their major course requirements (Note-12 credits can count towards the major for the full year LSE program only).
- Three credits may be used to fulfill the capstone requirement, if the student is NOT writing an Honors capstone in Economics.
- When choosing study abroad programs and courses, be mindful of prerequisites. Many universities abroad assume Economics students have working knowledge of calculus.
- If abroad course selections change, be sure to consult with the Dept. before committing to a course.
- Students in the BS or MAEC programs, or students who plan to write a Honors capstone in Economics should go abroad during the sophomore year or their junior year since ECON-480 (Senior Research Seminar), required for Honors capstone students, is offered only in the Fall and is recommended in the senior year.
- Students intending to complete the BA Econ - International Track should plan ahead for the sequencing of ECON-371 and ECON-372 and the pre-requisites for those courses.
- Students studying abroad in programs with a three-course semester load (ex. Scotland) should verify with their faculty advisor how the incoming credits will be counted towards the major.
Programs at a Premier AU Abroad Center
Programs at AU Abroad Partner Institutions
- Universidad Torcuato di Tella *has language pre-requisite*
Pontificia Universidade Catolica do Rio de Janeiro *has language pre-requisite*
- Universidad Adolfo Ibanez *has language pre-requisite*
- Universidad Nacional Autonoma *has language pre-requisite*
- London School of Economics *academic year program only*
- King's College London
- Oxford University-Lady Margaret Hall *academic year program only; please note, this is a competitive program*
- SOAS - University of London
- University College London
- University of Exeter
- NEOMA Business School *has language pre-requisite*
- National University of Ireland-Galway
- Trinity College Dublin
- University College Dublin
- University of Limerick