Is this Program Right for You?
The London-Jamaica Health Practice & Policy Program run by IES Abroad is a combination of Health Studies courses taken at the IES Abroad Center in London complemented by a required service learning placement that emphasizes experiential learning with opportunities for hands-on engagement.
Your course load includes:
- one health studies course taught by IES Abroad at the IES London Center
- a health course taught at the School of Health Science at City, Univeristy of London, OR a health course taught at the School of Medicine and Dentistry at Queen Mary, University of London
- an intensive service learning placement and practicum in London and
- study trip to Jamaica in Kingston at the University of the West Indies School of Nursing
- one elective course from the Study London Program at the IES London Center
Students on the program take a core 6-credit public health course which incorporates a service learning placement and the Jamaica study trip. Students then take two additional 3-credit public health courses. The final fourth course is an elective chosen from IES wide range of non-public health course offerings at the London program center. For more details on the specific courses, please review the IES website.
Course Equivalency: View the Course Equivalency Database to find out which courses on this program have already been equated to AU courses. Students will need to request equivalency for courses which have not been previously reviewed.
- Excellent student apartment-style housing in the Chapter King's Cross Residence Hall.
- Optional IES Abroad field trips to locations of historical and cultural relevance such as Edinburgh, Stonehenge, and Stratford-upon-Avon.
This international student residence hall is located in central London. Students share a room with an en-suite bathroom and have access to a common kitchen with other students on your floor. There is also a café on-site providing hot and cold meals. Bed linens are provided, but you’re responsible for your towels. There are laundry facilities and common areas with wireless Internet (and 24-hour Internet access in your room) on various floors of the residence hall, and you have access to the fitness facility (with a one-time induction fee) located in the building.
The housing has 24-hour security, and is a 5-minute walk to King's Cross station, where you can catch trains on six different underground lines. You can also reach the IES Abroad Center in 25 to 30 minutes by foot.
IES offers a range of optional excursions that you can elect as you wish and pay for on site. Some trips are included as components of academic programs, in which case the cost of the travel is included in your fees. Example optional IES Abroad field trips to locations of historical and cultural relevance include Edinburgh, Stonehenge, and Stratford-upon-Avon.