Veteran students, just like any other student, can benefit greatly from a study abroad experience. By studying abroad, veterans can experience life overseas in a different way than they may have while in the military. Many veterans use their GI Bill benefits to help fund their credit-bearing study abroad experience. If you are interested in using your VA benefits to assist in payment of your AU Abroad program, you should work closely with the Veterans Center in AU Central and your AU Abroad Study Abroad Advisor.
Veterans' Benefits can only be used when participating on an AU approved Study Abroad Program. Before making a decision about a program, please read through this template and ensure that your study abroad program meets the required criteria.
Things to Consider
The VA has authorized GI Bill recipients to use their benefits to study abroad under certain circumstances. Their regulations state that:
- Veterans' Benefits such as the Post 9/11 GI Bill and the Yellow Ribbon Program are only compatible with AU approved Study Abroad Programs.
- Students must be enrolled in courses that will apply to their degree. Since all AU Abroad students on our approved programs receive a full semester's worth of in-residence credit on their transcript from study abroad programs, the courses do apply to your degree.
- The program at the host school in the foreign country must be approved. *Thus students must study on an approved AU Abroad program and continue to be enrolled at AU.* When AU students study abroad on an approved AU Abroad program, all students continue to be enrolled at AU and continue to pay AU tuition and do not pay the host school, program, or provider directly for tuition expenses.
|What's Covered||What's Not Covered?|
How to file for Veterans Benefits when Studying Abroad through AU Abroad
- After you've been admitted to your study abroad program and AU Abroad has registered you for study abroad courses (typically May for Fall programs and November for Spring programs) you must completed your online Request for Certification of Enrollment.
- While you are abroad, make arrangements to have your Certificate of Eligibility Letter scanned and emailed to email@example.com
The AU Abroad office can advise you on your study abroad options and help you find the right program for your major and personal goals. The AU Abroad office is located in the Rockwood building (across from the south side shuttle stop). Tel: 202-885-1320 or firstname.lastname@example.org
AU Central can help if you have further questions. You can reach out to the Veterans Center via email at email@example.com or stop by in person anytime between 9am-5pm, Minday-Friday, in Asbury Building, Room 201.
This template is to be considered for informational purposes only and is subject to change and/or may vary depending on your program, changes in the department, American University, or changes with the VA.