Russian Speaking Countries: Program Requirements and Structures
Currently AU Abroad offers programs in the following Russian speaking countries: Russia and Kazakhstan. Each program site requires a different level of Russian for admission, and each has a unique structure in terms of the language of instruction and the type of students with you in the classroom.
PROGRAMS THAT REQUIRE NO PRIOR STUDY OF RUSSIAN
- Program Structure: This program is for students with an interest in directly enrolling in a Russian university. Students are required to take one Russian language course. The remaining courses will be in English and will be taken alongside other international students. Students live in university dorms with other international and Russian students.
- Program structure: This program is for students with an interest in directly enrolling in a Russian university. Students are required to take at least one Russian language course and have the option of taking content courses in English or Russian along side Russian students. It is highly recommended that students take at least one semester of Russian before applying. Students live in university dorms with other international and Russian students.
PROGRAMS THAT REQUIRES ONE YEAR OR MORE OF COLLEGE LEVEL RUSSIAN
- Program requires: Completion of two semesters of college level Russian
- Program structure: Academics are focused on Russian language acquisition and are very intensive. All courses in this program are taught in Russian with other American students and class size is quite small. Most students live in home stays.
- Program requires: Completion of four semesters of college level Russian.
- Program structure: Students take 9-11 credits hours of Russian language courses and have the option of taking content courses in Russian or English along side Russian students at Smolny College at St. Petersburg State University. Most students live in home stays.