Study Abroad for Neuroscience Majors
AU Abroad, in consultation with the Department of Neuroscience, is pleased to offer a selection of study abroad programs suited for Neuroscience Majors. These programs are recommended based on the academic quality of the host institution’s course offerings in neuroscience. Below is a selection of highlighted study abroad programs strong in neuroscience.
Keep in mind:
- The Department recommends going abroad during the junior year or first semester senior year.
Keep in mind:
- Neuroscience majors can count up to 6 credit hours of preapproved courses taken abroad toward their upper-level major course requirements.
- Courses under consideration must be specific for science majors at the abroad institution and have instructors with a PhD in Neuroscience or a related field.
- If you are in the AU premedical program, you can go abroad! Many programs offer courses that can provide you with topical experience in biological sciences and the health fields.
AustraliaPlease pay close attention to which science courses are offered each term as sequencing may be different than at AU in the southern hemisphere.
- University of Melbourne - Take advantage of the natural beauty of Melbourne and amplify your study of the neurosciences. Students take courses in the Melbourne Neuroscience Institute from leading faculty in the field.
- University of New South Wales - The UNSW is renowned for the its commitment to creative approaches to education and research. At UNSW, neuroscience students can take classes in their departments of Anatomy, Physiology and Pharmacology, and School of Psychology.
- DIS Copenhagen - Study in Scandinavia! Copenhagen, Denmark offers an idea study abroad program. Course schedules consist of the program's required core course(s) (if any), a program-related study tour, and a combination of courses from across the various programs. Courses are offered in cognitive neuroscience, psychopharmacology, psychology, and more.
- University College London - Located in the center of London and one of the UK’s most most prestigious universities, UCL offers excellent course options studying brain function and behavior. Participate in research about mental health, neurodegeneration, developmental neuroscience, and more.
- University of Exeter - Exeter is considered one of the most beautiful campuses in the UK. It is also a leading institution in Neuroscience where students can study both the function and dysfunction of the nervous system, the most complex structure in the known universe.
- University College Dublin - Experience Ireland's lyrical landscape and vibrant city life firsthand in the city of Dublin! UCD offers neuroscience students the opportunity to study courses through the College of Sciences. Students can take a diverse array of options in neuroscience, biochemistry, pharmacology among many others. You can also take a unique research class and become an active member of a research group in areas ranging from Physics and Computer Science to Chemistry, Biology and the Biomedical Sciences.
- University of Glasgow - One of the oldest universities in the world, the University of Glasgow has a long-standing reputation of academic and research. It is a leading institution in Psychology and Nueroscience. It also offers a special undergraduate Functional Anatomy course aimed at Pre-Med or Pre-Health students intending to apply to a US Medical School/Professional Health program in the USA. The course has been specially designed to give students a real advantage over their peers and will allow them to:
- learn basic medical terminology
- learn core concepts in regional anatomy
- learn clinical correlations and applications of anatomy
- learn basic radiology